How Would You Feel?

Back in 2004, MTV produced several ads for their Fight for Your Rights series. One of those ads drives home exactly how I feel, every day.

The ad, titled “Permission,” which you can see here, begins with a nervous young guy asking a man for Megan’s hand in marriage. (And yes, I suppose I am a wee bit partial to the ad due to the fact that my true love’s name is Megan.)

To his request he’s granted permission, but the young man continues asking everyone on the block, in the city, and presumably in the country for Megan’s hand. The ad concludes:

“How would you feel if you had to ask 260 million people for the right to marry?”

This year, obviously we don’t even have the chance to ask the five million people in Wisconsin for the right to marry. Instead we’re asking them whether or not to deny me, and all of the other hundreds of LGBT people here, the rights that marriage provides. And let’s be frank. That’s not an easy pill to swallow.

Our volunteers and everyone on staff has started putting in some very long hours. We’re here early, we’re here late, we’re here on weekends. And this is only February. There are days that I get to work and honestly can’t believe we all have to fight so bloody hard to keep this nonsense out of our-- out of my-- constitution. I can’t believe that all of our money and our time and our energy and our tears and our anxiety have to go into a ridiculous, hurtful piece of legislation. It’s frustrating.

How would you feel?

There are so many people I want to ask that question.

Tags:

1 Comments:

At 5:21 PM, Anonymous Megan Sapnar said...

Thanks for that post, I just wanted to thank you and everyone at AW for your hard work and relentless spirit. (And as your spouse, I can attest to the long hours... I miss you!) We will defeat this!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

A Fair Wisconsin Votes No
Add this banner to your website