My First Door-To-Door

This weekend my partner Megan and I celebrated the third anniversary of our commitment ceremony (though, I like to point out that we've actually been together for nearly nine years).

We marked the day by joining lots of other volunteers across the state in a door-to-door canvass to talk to voters about the ban.

Neither of us had canvassed before, and I have to admit, we were both nervous.

We arrived at Bethany United Methodist Church at 10am to check in, get our walk list, clipboards, and a 45- minute training.

Here Pabitra checks in a few volunteers. I was amazed by how many people gave up their Saturday to canvass.


The training was great. Star volunteers Diane (in the photo above, with Mary, another fantastic volunteer) and Nathan gave us the lowdown on everything from what to say at the door to how to deal with dogs in the yard. My nerves settled and I was itching to get to my first door.

Megan, however, was still nervous. When we got to our destination she made me listen to her practice a few more times. Finally, she felt ready, but wanted to do the first couple of doors together--with me doing the talking.

Here I am heading to the first house.



No one answered the first few doors, but eventually someone did. And when she did, I hardly had a chance to say hello before she said, "Fair Wisconsin! I'm already very involved with the campaign and helped sponsor your Madison kick-off."

How she knew we were with Fair Wisconsin, I don't know. But after she thanked us for the work we were doing, Megan laughed and said, "Boy, this is easy!" She was set to go on her own.

Here she goes. (As you can see, we were in a very hilly area-- this was by far the hardest part of the day.)



And...
... success!

For us, this was how the three hours flew by: lots of people weren't home; most people we spoke with were on our side already; several people had no idea this would be on the ballot, but quickly said they would be voting "No" once we told them about the ban; a few gave money; a few were undecided; and only one person didn't want to speak with us. All in all, it was a piece of cake.

At 2pm, we came back to the church to tally our results.

Gumby's donated a few pizzas and as we ate them, we shared stories of the day. The stories were both motivating and inspiring. And at the end of the day we had identified hundreds of people who would be voting "No," and of those, many, many who thanked us for doing the work we were doing.


Tags: ,

2 Comments:

At 10:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the work you did and for sharing your photos and experience! Maybe I can be inspired to pair up with someone next weekend in Appleton to do 'door-to-door'...great photos....thanks again

 
At 9:09 AM, Anonymous Diane Wensel said...

I had a tremendous time Sat. at the canvass. I really want to thank all the volunteers who came out to make it a success. The people I talked to all said thank-you for what we were doing and wanted literature to pass on to friends, relatives and fellow employees. I am stronly convinced that if we can educate the people in Wisconsin about the amendment we will celebrating Nov. 7th with a defeat of this amendment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

A Fair Wisconsin Votes No
Add this banner to your website