A Conversation with My Dad, Part 3

This is the last of my three part conversation with my Dad. Thanks Dad for agreeing to talk with me about this.

This picture of my whole family was taken at my commitment ceremony. From left to right: me, my mom, my brother Erik, Megan, my sister-in-law Amy, my dad, and my brother Karl. That day my dad suprised me by organizing tuxedos for all the men.

I bet you’re looking forward to the day that Megan and I are in a legally recognized relationship so when you help us with our taxes you can file them jointly.

The funny thing is, I already feel that you are in a legally binding relationship. And the fact that you can’t be—it’s almost like it’s not right. Why can’t you be? Who is hurt? Who is deprived of anything? Who loses anything?

The answer is that nobody does. Nobody loses. Nobody is deprived because you two are in a relationship, a loving relationship, one in which children could be brought into. As far as I’m concerned your relationship with Megan is just like any other legal relationship. It should be made into a legal relationship.

How soon until gay and lesbian people can get married here?

It’s only a matter of time. The young people today are so much more aware, knowledgeable, and at ease than the people running the country. It’s people in their 40s, 50s, and 60s who have gained power, just like I have in business. I’m part of the generation that has worked their way up into high positions. When this generation passes, the next generation is going to come into power, look back, and wonder what the big deal was.

It’s just a situation between two people. It’s not a comment on society or a comment on morality. Those who take the time to think about this issue and get to know people who are gay and lesbian realize they are not a threat. They’re not a threat to me, or to my marriage, or to society.

What do you think about gay and lesbian couples having kids?

Well, for me when you came out and said you could still have kids, I initially found it confusing. Of course you could still have kids, but it wasn’t going to like a traditional mother and father that I thought it should be.

But now, I look forward to the two of you having children.

As far as a child being born into or adopted by gay and lesbian couples… if there is a bias, the bias is that they’re probably much more loving and caring. They don’t have children because it’s an accident. Gay and lesbian people have children because they really want them.

One last question. Do you think Wisconsin can defeat this?

The answer is yes.

Really?

If you had asked me early on when you joined the campaign I would have said no. But when people like Charlie Sykes are open-minded about it, there is a kind of fissure. You can get “No” votes from people like that who think within themselves instead of trying to align with a party.

I’m very hopeful.

That’s all I have, unless there’s anything else you want to add?

I would add that I’m very proud of all you’re doing. I can’t imagine being so wrapped up in a job knowing full well, win or lose, that at the end of November you’re going to be out fighting another challenge.

I can’t say how much I admire you and all of the people who are spending so much time and money on this.

But you’re one of those people. You’re contributing money; you’re talking to your friends about it.

I know I am, but what am I doing? I’m just sending in some money. It doesn’t do that much, but hopefully we’re helping to influence some people.

But you’re doing tons. And I’m serious. I think you guys can win.


Tags: , ,

3 Comments:

At 7:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sending in money is a very important contribution. We cant win unless thousands of people send in as much as they can afford.

 
At 10:37 AM, Anonymous Mavis said...

Ingrid...What a great series of entries! And I love the picture :)

 
At 4:09 PM, Anonymous Erin Roberts said...

Yeah Perry!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

A Fair Wisconsin Votes No
Add this banner to your website