Mary Cheney: From My Perspective, We're Already Married

Last night, Diane Sawyer interviewed Mary Cheney on ABC's Primetime.

Cheney says she struggled with whether she could stay with the 2004 campaign after President Bush came out in favor of a federal constitutional ban:

When Bush proclaimed it in the State of the Union, she refused to go. Mary Cheney, a senior campaign adviser, was finally taking her stand.

"I didn't want to be there. No one banned me from being there. But I didn't want to stand up and cheer," she said.

On when she knew she was gay:

"There's not a moment I can ever point to and say that's when I knew I was different. That's when I knew I was gay," she said. "It just was sort of this thing that dawned on me over time."

Cheney was a junior in high school when she and her first girlfriend broke up. She was so distraught she wrecked the car and says she had to tell her parents the truth.

Would she still have supported President Bush even if her father hadn't been on the ticket?

"I think he's a very good man," Cheney said of Bush. "On these issues, he hasn't caught up."
Would she and her partner, Heather Poe, marry if they could?

"Well, from my perspective? Heather and I already are married," she said. "We have built a home and a life together. Um, I hope I get to spend the rest of my life with her. The way I look at it, is we're just waiting for state and federal law to catch up with us."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

A Fair Wisconsin Votes No
Add this banner to your website