So Tell Me...

For those of you sporting "A Fair Wisconsin Votes No" buttons and t-shirts: do you have any good stories to share?

I haven't bought a t-shirt yet, but my button has sparked a few conversations -- mostly from people who hadn't yet heard about the ban. Probably my most notable story happened while I was checking out at Home Depot. The man at the check-out counter asked what I was voting "No" on. When I explained what it was and why I was voting “No” (of course I spoke loud enough that the line behind me could hear) he paused to think. It was an awkward pause, and I have to admit my heart was pounding.

Finally he turned to me and said (loud enough that the whole line could hear) "Well, I agree with you."

So tell me-- what sort of encounters have you had? Any good conversations? Any new “No” votes as a result?

2 Comments:

At 11:41 PM, Anonymous Heidi said...

Everytime I wore my button, someone would ask me about it and I'd give them my schpiel. Almost without exception, the person would say 'right on' and ask where they could get a button. I always ended up giving them mine, and would then have to head back by the office for another!

I hope Fair Wisconsin will get more buttons soon!

 
At 12:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had my button on at the dentist office recently. The dental hygienist asked me what it was about. Pretty weird to have this conversation between her jabbing stuff in my mouth...but it worked out. She said she had heard about the issue. I explained that I was against the civil unions and marriage ban, and she got very quiet. I couldn't tell if she was a support of the ban or if she was just trying to wrap her head around exactly what we were voting on. About ten minutes later, she said, "You know, I'm glad you told me more about this. I think anything that treats people badly is wrong. I'm against it too."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

A Fair Wisconsin Votes No
Add this banner to your website