"Voting Yes is Just Wrong"

Tom over at Purple Scarf often blogs about Wisconsin's civil unions and marriage ban. Yesterday he wrote about being gay in rural Sauk County-- which, I suppose could represent almost any rural area of the state.

He makes mention of number of letters appearing in his local newspaper about the proposed ban. Last Friday, he notes, the Baraboo News Republic published a letter by a lesbian woman in a committed relationship with children "that puts the issue as clearly and concisely as I've ever seen it done."

Unfortunately I don't think the letter is available online, but this is what Tom excerpted:
... Until now, I tried very hard to tell myself my involvemnt would not make a difference. I have been invited to several events planned to educate voters about the issue. I have attended none of them. A friend said to me, "You need to get involved. This directly affects you." True. I hid behind whatever excuse that was convenient, like "my three teenagers have so much going on" or "I am so busy with my job." However, when I sat down and took a hard look at it, my apathy came from a different source. ...

My biggest reason for staying out of the battle: How do I convince someone that voting against this amendment is in their best interest? I know that for me, if the amendment passes, it would be devastating. How do I convince you?

The answer came from my daughter, a 17 year old, who is evidently wise beyond her years ... Hers was a simple answer. People should vote no because voting yes is just wrong.

The truth is that some things in life we have to take battle with because it is just wrong. It is wrong for me not to be allowed to have the love of my life at my side when I die following out my wishes. It is wrong for anyone to tell me that I can't have a home and a family. It is wrong for anyone to tell me that my commitment to another person is somehow less than anyone else's. It is wrong! ...

The last time I checked, our constitution was devised to keep the doors of freedom open for people, not slam them shut. I don't care if you slam the door to your home in my face. Thank goodness, under the constitution you have that right. I don't care if you slam the door of your church in my face, I will seek God in a move loving and accepting environment. You do not, however, have the right to take away my constiutional rights.

Please keep in mind, when deciding how you will vote in November, that life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness are not special rights but those handed down to all of us.

Tags: , ,

6 Comments:

At 9:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your daughter isn't wise beyond her years, she's just dumb. Maybe you should stop brainwashing her with your repulsive homosexual propaganda.

 
At 10:40 AM, Anonymous Heidi said...

I must commend Fair Wisconsin for the civility and respect with which they have been conducting this campaign, this statewide discussion on why gay families need rights for their families.

This type of comment shows the opposite, a glaring disrespect. I’m going to send an extra $10 to Fair Wisconsin today and again every time I see this type of disrespect.

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger Communitygal said...

Hurrah for Wisconsin's youth! This young woman's insight, and her ability to break through her mother's fears, reminded me that while Wisconsin citizens under 18 cannot vote, they can help the rest of us open our eyes and face our fears. They have a unique ability to speak with people from the heart about the future that us older folks are leaving to them as our legacy.

Young people of Wisconsin, I hope you will mobilize in the name of love and to conquer fear, hatred, and bad manners (see first post), and join the volunteer forces in every Wisconsin county working to defeat this ban.

 
At 12:08 PM, Anonymous debbie said...

GREAT idea, Heidi -- I'll do the same. It's a good way to make sure that something beautiful comes out of something so ugly.

 
At 2:41 PM, Anonymous Kent said...

Add me to that list. Here comes another 10 bucks (in addition to my monthly giving and my additional 30.00 for the current goal) I can do without that extra coffee this week!

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger Ingrid Ankerson said...

You all are the best! And great idea on the $10, Heidi. Thanks all of you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

A Fair Wisconsin Votes No
Add this banner to your website