Yes or No?

This letter to the editor reminds me just how confusing this ballot initiative is.

While this and similar "vote no" pleas seem like they could do us a favor, unfortunately I'm sure there are plenty of people on our side who will vote "yes" because they support our efforts.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but I just have to say it: We are not voting to legalize marriage or civil unions for gay families. It's illegal in Wisconsin today and it will be illegal on November 8th. We are voting on whether or not we want to change Wisconsin's constitution to single out gay families and permanently deny them important legal rights and protections.

3 Comments:

At 11:51 AM, Anonymous Mavis said...

Thanks Ingrid! As I've been going door-to-door, I've realized how confusing this is for many people. We really have to emphasize that a vote NO will keep this discriminatory ban out of the constitution.

Are there any other volunteers out there who have had the same experience with confused voters?

 
At 9:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes absolutely.

 
At 4:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a conversation this week with a Catholic priest whom I have known for years, one of the most intelligent and well-informed people I know, and an opinion leader in his community and parish.

I was shocked to discover that he thought the amendment was a simple prohibition of gay marriage. "Of course a Catholic should vote YES," he said, "because the Church clearly teaches that marriage is sacrosanct."

When I recited the second sentence to him, he at first refused to believe that I was correct. "No respectable lawmaker would try to rob people of those rights." He wants more information.

Just what exactly do those slippery words of the 2nd sentence mean? And how on earth can they be reduced to a sound bite?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

A Fair Wisconsin Votes No
Add this banner to your website