Those Out of Control Judges
Let's be honest. "Activist judges" are judges you don't agree with.
But the so-called threat of activist judges is the chief argument put forth to support passage of the civil unions and marriage ban.
It's been a busy few weeks for these judges all around the country. Let's review what they've been up to:
- New York's high court rejected a lawsuit seeking marriage rights foy gay couples, saying it was a matter best left for the Legislature to handle.
- Georgia's high court rejected a challenge to the civil unions and marriage ban that was passed by voters in that state in 2004.
- The Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court approved language for a constitutional amendment to revoke marriage rights for Massachusetts gay couples.
- A court in Connecticut rejected a lawsuit seeking marriage for gay couples, ruling that the state's current civil union status provides equal rights.
- Just today, a federal appeals court upheld Nebraska's very extreme constitutional amendment that explictly bans any form of legal relationship for gay couples.
- Also today, the Tennessee Supreme Court refused a pre-ballot challenge to a civil unions and marriage ban set to go before state voters this year.
Tags: National Developments, Media Round-up