D.C. Summit Features Verbal Attacks on Gay People

This past weekend, socially conservative leaders gathered for the "Values Voters 2006" summit in Washington.

Focus on the Family and the Family Research Council were cosponsors. Here's the full program. Part of the goal is to energize their base before the election.

I'm pretty sure Julaine Appling was there. I heard she was "in D.C. for a conference."

Here's what one featured speaker, Bishop Wellington Boone, had to say:
Back in the days when I was a kid, and we see guys that don’t stand strong on principle, we call them “faggots.” … [People] that don’t stand up for what’s right, we say, “You’re sissified out!” “You’re a sissy!” That means you don’t stand up for principles.
You can listen to an audio file here.

The New York Times, Think Progress, and Andrew Sullivan have more. Sullivan also has a report from a reader who attended the conference.

3 Comments:

At 6:20 PM, Blogger Justin Sweet said...

Frightening

 
At 7:35 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

Voters should know that the very same organizations who swear up and down that this amendment has nothing to do with "gay rights", that it's "not intended to take away benefits", and will in no way "hurt anyone" if it passes...these same organizations are sponsoring speakers that spew these hateful, mean-spirited attacks. They're talking out of both sides of their mouth.

 
At 7:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really wish these people hadn't hijacked the word "values." Just because I am gay does not mean that I do not have values. My values simply differ from those of the neo-conservatives.

I value life... all life, not just the life of a fetus. I value liberty... the freedom to say and do what I feel is right for me. I value family... strong and stable families are an important part of society's backbone. I value marriage... my wife and I have been married now for almost three years. She is the most important person in my life and I would be truly lost without her.

What neo-cons aren't saying is what they don't value. They simply don't value anyone different than themselves.

They don't value the lives of those our country is at war with. They don't value the freedom of religion (or freedom from it). They don't value families headed by gay parents. They don't value marriage if it's between gay people.

It would almost be better if they came out and said exactly what they're thinking. They hate us.

The reason they don't just say it? They know that the majority of people are fair minded and if a direct approach were taken, they would find themselves alone in the debate.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

A Fair Wisconsin Votes No
Add this banner to your website