Courage

Back in December I signed up to attend a Speakers Training. I was excited to go, but when the day of the training rolled around I started to get nervous. I wasn’t sure what I'd have to do at the training, and I really didn’t want to have to talk in front of a whole bunch of people. But I gathered my courage and went, because defeating the ban was important to me. It turned out to be really fun; I met Ingrid, Lindsey and a whole bunch of fair-minded people. So began my journey with Fair Wisconsin.

After the Speakers Training I decided that I had to do what I could to defeat the amendment or I couldn’t complain about it if it passed; so I signed up for Tuesday night volunteer night. I woke up on Tuesday and I started to get nervous again. I worried about what they were going to make me do, that I wouldn’t be good at whatever they needed me to do, and that I was going to be the only new person. I called Fair Wisconsin and made some excuses. I told them I had to work until 6 (which was true) and since volunteer night started at 6 I would have to be late, so I should probably just skip it, right?

Pabitra said no. She was adamant that I come in to volunteer even if I was late. So I gathered my courage again and walked to 122 State Street after work. Volunteering turned out to be not so scary; I met some cool people and Lindsey taught me how to use FileMaker.

From that Tuesday on I volunteered every Tuesday night. Some nights I got home from work feeling pretty tired, and sitting on the couch and watching TV was very tempting. But I knew Fair Wisconsin was counting on me, so I went in every night. I never regretted volunteering once I got there. The staff was always so friendly and helpful, even if I had to ask them the same questions a few times. It also felt good to be part of a team that was fighting for something I felt so strongly about.

Slowly I built up my courage and worked up to phone calls and door canvasses. Eventually I started to help run volunteer nights and canvasses. Since I had taken on so many responsibilities at Fair Wisconsin, Pabitra asked me if I would consider moving to open an office somewhere in greater Wisconsin. I didn’t hesitate. I said no.

Defeating the ban is very important to me. I was raised to believe that everyone deserves equal rights; regardless of the gender of the person they love. Being a part of the campaign has meant doing many things that make my palms sweat and my stomach feel queasy, but I cannot sit by and watch this ban pass.

So I gathered up my courage one more time and went back and said ok. A few weeks later I packed up my car and moved out to Eau Claire to open an office. It hasn’t been easy every step of the way, but I’ve never regretted it. Being involved in this campaign has been the most important thing I have ever done in my life; I’ll do what it takes to make sure we win.

10 Comments:

At 12:38 PM, Anonymous Guess who?! :) said...

You are my hero!! You have inspired so much of us!

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger David Schowengerdt said...

Way to go, Hannah! You're an inspiration to those who are still in the position you were when you first started. Thanks so much for sharing your story.

 
At 1:22 PM, Anonymous Katie said...

I am so proud to be your friend! Plus it's not like we didn't watch tv after volunteer night anyway : )

 
At 1:28 PM, Anonymous Tim Michael said...

It seems like SO long ago that we attended that training, Hannah. You're a rockstar and we miss you terribly here in Madison, but in 30 days we can have a big reunion at the victory party!

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger Eric Peterson said...

Thanks for all your hard work Hannah!! We all know its not that the Indianhead and Northwoods are not the easiest place in the state to be doing our work, but a bit of boldness and all the courage you have will change the world. See you soon!

 
At 2:28 PM, Anonymous Kory said...

Thank you for everything you do Hannah! We are so blessed to have you in the Eau Claire office.

Furthermore, I feel so lucky to be able to call you my friend as well.

See you tonight for our Monday night canvass!

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger Justin Sweet said...

Hannah, you've touched so many lives during your time with Fair Wisconsin, both here in Madison and up in Eau Claire. I'm sure that I speak for a lot of people when I say that we all feel lucky to have you on our team and we're greatful that you've unselfishly given so much of your time to this cause.

 
At 4:04 PM, Anonymous Andy Gordon said...

Thanks for all your hard work Hannah- you are an inspiration!

 
At 4:40 AM, Blogger Diane Wensel said...

Hannah your the cats "meow". I really miss volunteering with you at the Madison office but I knew when you accepted the position and single-handely opened the Eau Claire office you did this unselfishly. I also knew that you would have a postive impact in the Eau Claire area which is an under statement of the year. Keep up the good work and will see you on Nov. 7th.
Diane

 
At 3:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good work

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

A Fair Wisconsin Votes No
Add this banner to your website