"I was your classmate and teammate"

There was a nice guest commentary written by Sarah Erickson in yesterday's Monroe Times that brings home what this amendment is really about: our neighbors, our friends, and our family.

She writes:

I volunteer my time to my local YWCA as a facilitator for conversations on race and racism. I ride my bicycle on a stretch of the Mississippi River near my apartment about three times a week and play in a volleyball league on Monday nights. I watch movies, go bowling and have dinner parties and study dates with my friends....

Yet regardless of all of these things, come Nov. 7, you, as Wisconsin citizens, will have the option to ban my ability to become legally married, have a legally recognized civil union and eliminate some of my current legal rights simply because I am a lesbian.

And goes on:

You watched me play sports in high school and took pride in my team's victories. I sat as a student in your classrooms in grade school, junior high and high school. I was your co-worker at Greenco and the Sheriff's Department. I waited on you at Ruf's Confectionery and Burger King. I was your classmate and teammate. I am your mother, your grandmother, your teacher and your friend.

Read the full piece here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

A Fair Wisconsin Votes No
Add this banner to your website