Tell Your Friends

Hopefully all of you are having conversations and writing letters to your friends and family about what's on this November's ballot. Telling people why you personally care about defeating the ban is the best way to influence votes.

Corinne Rosen
recently wrote this great letter to the people she knows:

............

Hello everyone! Since June I have been working up to fourteen hour days, seven days a week to help educate people and defeat the ban on civil unions and marriage.

I am investing much time and energy in to this issue because I am passionate about keeping this anti-family initiative out of our Wisconsin state Constitution. I believe that this ban is bad for Wisconsin. To try to write into the constitution that unmarried couples and same sex couples should not have any protections for their families is wrong. And that's exactly what the second sentence does by threatening healthcare, pensions, and any legal contract two unmarried individuals would have with each other.

It was not long ago when African-Americans were treated as second class citizens under the law. African-Americans were denied the right to vote, live in certain places, attend certain schools, and there was even a time when African-Americans were not allowed to marry each other. This is why the jumping off the broom ceremony was created. There was also a time when women were treated as second class citizens under the law. Women were originally considered property of their husbands once they were married, they were not allowed to vote, work certain jobs, go to certain schools, and play sports.

I have certainly benefitted from equal protection under the law. As many of you know my mother is black and my father is white. When my mother was 17, it was still illegal in certain states for her and my father to marry; until it was decided in the courts that although some people may not agree with people of different races marrying it was not up to the government to discriminate against those people. I was able to go to school with children from all different races and backgrounds because in 1954 when my mother was four years old the Supreme Court decided that separate was not equal. When I applied to college, I applied where I wanted to without the fear of being discriminated against.

I have had an extensive hockey career. I have played hockey at every level. I've played house league, travel, college, semi-pro, and internationally, but all of this too was because in 1972 Title IX was passed. It said that no person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, shall be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subject to discrimination under any educational programs or activity receiving federal financial aid.

I became the first girl to play hockey at Pius XI High School because the athletic director had to let me play because of Title IX... Three years ago I coached with the Wisconsin Wild--to see the opportunity that the parents of that program have built for so many girls is amazing. For the past two years, I have coached the University High School Hockey team-- one of the first female high school teams in the state. Last year the team finally got a state-of-the-art locker room like the boys' because parents said that they wanted equal facilities for their daughters.

So when I heard that they were trying to write discrimination into the constitution by saying that, "Marriage is between one man and one woman. A legal status identical or substantially similar to that of marriage for unmarried individuals shall not be valid or recognized in this state."

I was very upset... To say that we do not agree with unmarried couples living together and raising a family or gay couples living together and raising a family is okay. Most of us have very strong opinions about these living arrangements. But to write that into the constitution is not okay. To say that unmarried couples and same sex couples and their families can not have any of the protections for their families that my mother and father had when I was born is discriminatory and bigoted...

I have benefitted from many people fighting for my rights before I was around. When people said it was wrong to deny marriage which gives protections to families to people of different races they were fighting for me. When people fought to get equal educational opportunities for children of all races they were fighting for me. When people fought to allow women the right to participate in all educational opportunities including sports they were also fighting for me.

Now instead of fighting for rights people are trying to take away protections for unmarried couples and their families and I am fighting to protect them. All unmarried couples should be able to keep the few protections that they have for their families like being able to share health insurance and the right to make a will( which is "a legal document that could be considered similar to marriage")

I am working for Fair Wisconsin because I know that we can stop this nonsense of trying to write discrimination into the constitution and change the course of history. I also know that stopping this here in Wisconsin, a Midwestern, battleground state means that we will shape the political landscape in this country. It will be a victory for everyone who lives in the state of Wisconsin

This campaign is one of the best things I've been a part of. We have a staff of 50 in all corners of the state who canvass, phone bank, raise money and work 16 hours a day. We have over 10,000 volunteers, people who work hard to ensure that every voter in Wisconsin hears our message. We have been on television for 15 weeks. We will cross the finish line in 14 days and I know that all of these things will come together to ensure we win on November 7th.

I urge everyone to show up at the polls and VOTE NO on November 7th to keep protections that are in place right now for families. Keep this anti-family amendment out of the constitution and let's continue our tradition of moving forward in Wisconsin by VOTING NO and stopping us from going back to the days when we as a state accepted discrimination...

It is important to show up at the polls and vote no but it is equally as important to help turn up NO voters at the polls in the last few days before the election. This is one opportunity to truly make a big difference and stand up for the things we care about. Remember that you have the rest of your life to go to work, school, or hang out with friends... You only have one chance to make history... On November 7th take off from whatever it is your doing and Change History by helping Wisconsin be the first state to defeat this amendment...
Call 839-0091 TO FIND OUT ABOUT ALL THE OPPORTUNITIES WE HAVE TO DEFEAT THE BAN or sign up today at: http://www.fairwisconsingroups.com/gotv .

10 Comments:

At 1:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 1:48 PM, Anonymous Todd said...

This is a wonderful letter, Corinne. Thank you for sharing it.

 
At 3:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for your efforts in this campaign, Corrine. You have a great story and I'm glad you're sharing it!

 
At 4:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's up with the censorship. I happen to be leaning to your side, but let both sides of the issue be discussed. I read the comment posted; why was there no opportunity for rebuttle?

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger Ingrid Ankerson said...

Anon 2, I'm all for both sides to be discussed and rebutted, but not for name-calling, which is why I took that comment off.

 
At 9:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

But there has been name calling on these discussion panels by both sides and I only see removal of one side. I just want the standards to be the same, just like you. It doesn't seem fair that a substantially large post with multiple points for discussion was removed.

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger Ingrid Ankerson said...

No, I've actually deleted comments from both sides... but fortunately, everyone's remained pretty civil, so I've only had to delete a handful of posts in the year we've been keeping the blog.

But I wonder if you're thinking of a different comment on a different post? The one I deleted here was only five or six words long. Definitely not a "substantially large post."

 
At 10:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think so, I just scrolled down to double check. It was the myth vs fact post with about 6 wordy points. Maybe I missed in when I scrolled down to check but I am pretty sure it was under this one. Could you direct me to the proper discussion board if I am wrong, in which case I would be sorry for the misunderstanding.

 
At 10:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just checked again, and it is not anywhere to be found. I also found some insulting entries found from the NO side... curious

 
At 2:33 PM, Anonymous quilly said...

Anon,

I remember the myth vs. fact comment, but not which posting it was under--a common problem when comments go off-topic, something I've been guilty of too.

In any case, I do remember seeing the first comment here and hoping it would be deleted. I can vouch that it was terse, mean-spirited, and contributed nothing to the discussion.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

A Fair Wisconsin Votes No
Add this banner to your website